[recipe] Super (not-so) secret cookie recipe

Someone once told me that unless you have a go-to cookie recipe, that you're not really a baking afficionado. So to that person, I say - "HA. In your face."

I've been using a particular cookie recipe for a while now, and it works for me. I always have the ingredients in my kitchen, or can run out to get them in a jif, and it's good. I mean, like people like the bottom of whatever container I put them in kind of good. It's a flexible recipe and will accomodate anything you put in, and it stays soft(ish) if you want to make them ahead of time.

I first made the cookie in my cast-iron skillet for a birthday cookie-cake:


 

It was a pretty big hit, if I do say so myself.

Then I tried it out in two ways - using butterscotch chips and then the classic semi-sweet chocolate chips. Both turned out quite well, and I sent them off with one of my little 동생s who was visiting Seoul. The leftovers were devoured by my friends within minutes.


So without further ado - the recipe:

Ingredients

6 tbsp butter (80g, or 1 stick) at room temperature (this is a must, don't cheat this step!)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 whole egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips (or anything you want goes here!)

Directions
  1. Make sure your butter is at room temperature. Combine butter with both types of sugars and whip together till smooth.
  2. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
  3. Slowly mix in dry ingredients (salt, baking soda, flour)
  4. When thoroughly mixed, fold in chocolate chips.
  5. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350F or 175C.
  6. Cool before eating... or eat warm with some ice cream for deliciousness (and a possible heart attack, but you know - to each his own).
Some ideas for substitutes for chocolate chips: almonds, crushed walnuts or peanuts or hazelnuts, butterscotch chips, dried cranberries, pistachios... the list goes on! Get creative, and go make yourself a baking aficionado. xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment